The migme Lifestyle

Keep Watching


After six years of brewing, Froya’s first album is ready

Wednesday 11 March 2015





After six years of brewing, Froya’s first album is ready
March 11, 2015




With its chill, yet upbeat tracks, Malaysian indie artist Froya is set to make bodies shimmy and heads bop.
Froya’s first album comes out this year, led with its single “Dawn”. The brains and voice behind Froya is Michelle lee.
migme: What does Froya mean? And tell us something about you.
Lee: Froya means goddess of love and beauty. I just thought of my stage name. I used to be a bedroom singer/songwriter. (laughs)


What does that mean?
That means I was shy. I normally just hide in my room and write songs there. And then I went to college and I pursued music and after that I got a job as a full-time composer, writing songs for TV commercials and film scoring. I’ve been writing a lot of my own material and stuff—since I was 19 years old.

How did you get to performing publicly from being a “bedroom singer/songwriter”?
I enjoyed production and writing songs. When my friends heard about my stuff they pushed me to go out and perform. The more I performed, the more gigs I got, then it became my side career.

How long have you been performing?
I have been performing 3 years as Froya.

Can you describe how your music sounds?
I would say indie pop. (But) I don’t like to narrow it down, I believe that my sound will evolve as I grow older. I don’t really like to be categorized as vogue or indie. I really like to keep things fresh and keep it open.
What is your musical influence?
A lot… too many. I used to listen to a lot of jazz back then. And then after that I was into trip hop, electronic music, and then vogue, and then a lot of indie.

Do you have any specific artist you look up to?
I really look up to Imogen Heap. Imogen Heap is really cool because she’s a singer/songwriter and producer, and she mixes her own stuff. Her album won the Album of the Year Grammy. I really look up to female producers.


Do you think that she influenced your music?
Not really, but I do think I take a little bit of her influence. I am influenced by her singing style. But composing and arrangement-wise I am trying to find my identity, so it’s not the same as Imogen Heap.

What are some of the challenges that an indie artists are facing in the current music industry?
One is the platform. We do have a few event organizers in Malaysia who organize a good platform for us. But I think right now it’s about how to get the Asian bands to interact those outside of Asia. Like, how do you actually combine (the two), because now Western is really Western and Asian is really Asian. And if you look at the bands today they are actually kind of international as well. So I feel like there is a missing link there.

Tell us about your first album, Panic Bird.
It took me 5 to 6 years to make it, and there will be some videos coming out. And we’re gonna be doing some performances. And hopefully tour a bit if we can. It will be launched on the 11th of April, and you’ll be able to find it online on iTunes and Spotify. I’ll have physical copies on the launch date.

Follow Froya on mig at @froya2015!

- by @reiayunan














No comments: